- Brevard teen who went missing in Washington state found July 21, 2016A Brevard County teen girl who went missing while on a trip to Washington state with relatives has been found, the FBI said Thursday afternoon. Katelynn Barlow, 14, of Merritt Island went missing during trip Phone found 30 miles away from where she was staying Katelynn "Katie" Barlow, 14, of Merritt Island, went missing from […]
- Eaton House: Fire destroys historic Melbourne home July 21, 2016A fire Thursday afternoon destroyed the Eaton House, a home dating back to the late 1800s that was the first in the city to make the historic preservation board's list. Fire broke out a home on Riverview Drive in Melbourne Woman was found inside the home; firefighters pulled her out No word yet on the […]
- Hospital group arms some security guards after Brevard shooting July 21, 2016Some security guards at several hospitals in Brevard County will now carry a firearm after a patient and employee were shot dead at Parrish Medical Center this past weekend. Health First hospital group in Brevard to arm some security guards Parrish Medical Center was site of fatal shooting days ago Parrish is not a member […]
- Parrish shooting victim a dedicated nurse, friend July 20, 2016The Titusville community is still reeling after two people were shot and killed at Parrish Medical Center Sunday. Nurse Carrie Rouzer one of two victims fatally shot Rouzer a 13-year veteran of Parrish Medical Center Among those devastated by the tragedy is Katrina Foster-Fernandez, a friend and one-time co-worker of victim Carrier Rouzer. The two […]
Stand up paddle boarding (SUP) is gaining popularity and has health benefits
You might have seen the paparazzi shot of a well-trimmed celebrity standing up on what looks like a surfboard and paddling in some beautiful, exotic location. But you dont have to be famous or on vacation to enjoy and experience the health benefits of this new fitness trend.
Its called stand up paddle boarding and is gaining popularity along the Space Coast. If you love the water and a challenge, youll be hooked from the beginning. The sport requires balance so it works your core muscles and burns calories- and is sometimes referred to as yoga on water. The gear can be expensive, but there are places that you can rent equipment for as little as $30 an hour. The cost of a board ranges from $700 to $2,000.
If youre not ready to brave the ocean, try the calmer waters of a river or lake. Of course this always provides the opportunity to view wildlife like birds, dolphins and manatees. People of all ages can enjoy the sport and its easier to master than traditional surfing.
Beginners should start out in calmer waters, free of obstacles like buoys. Try kneeling first, just behind the center of the board. Get your balance, keep your hands on either side of the board to stabilize it, and then stand up one foot at a time- placing your feet where your knees were. You can expect to fall at least once, so dont get frustrated.
Where is your favorite restaraunt in brevard county?
41 people voted
- Fish Lips
- Dixie Crossroads
- Tokyo Steakhouse
- Thai Thai III Sushi Bar
- Taiho Japanese Restaraunt
- Tip A Few Tavern & Grille
- La Estancia De Lusia
- Seafood Atlantic
- Matt's Casbah
- Pizzoni's Pizza
- Chapparral Mexican Restr.
@TheRealPatrickD: working tonight in #SpaceCoastStadium for a #BrevardCountyManatees game. the only upside is #Alicia is here!!!! #beautiful
40 months ago