- FEMA expands assistance to Brevard; schools won't make up lost days October 20, 2016Federal disaster aid has been expanded to three more Florida counties, including Brevard. Brevard a
- FHP: 16-year-old killed in Brevard County crash October 20, 2016A 16-year-old boy from Cocoa died Wednesday night in crash along U.S. 1 and Friendship Place, accord
- Cocoa man seeks return of stolen antique fire truck October 19, 2016An antique fire truck, well-known at parades and events in Cocoa, has disappeared, leaving the owner
- Scott visits Brevard restaurant; FEMA expands assistance October 18, 2016Gov. Rick Scott toured several areas of Brevard County on Tuesday, including the final restaurant in
Stand up paddle boarding (SUP) is gaining popularity and has health benefits
You might have seen the paparazzi shot of a well-trimmed celebrity standing up on what looks like a surfboard and paddling in some beautiful, exotic location. But you dont have to be famous or on vacation to enjoy and experience the health benefits of this new fitness trend.
Its called stand up paddle boarding and is gaining popularity along the Space Coast. If you love the water and a challenge, youll be hooked from the beginning. The sport requires balance so it works your core muscles and burns calories- and is sometimes referred to as yoga on water. The gear can be expensive, but there are places that you can rent equipment for as little as $30 an hour. The cost of a board ranges from $700 to $2,000.
If youre not ready to brave the ocean, try the calmer waters of a river or lake. Of course this always provides the opportunity to view wildlife like birds, dolphins and manatees. People of all ages can enjoy the sport and its easier to master than traditional surfing.
Beginners should start out in calmer waters, free of obstacles like buoys. Try kneeling first, just behind the center of the board. Get your balance, keep your hands on either side of the board to stabilize it, and then stand up one foot at a time- placing your feet where your knees were. You can expect to fall at least once, so dont get frustrated.
What Brevard County road needs a complete landscape makeover to better represent our county?
8 people voted
- 520 from 95 to A1A?
- US 1 from Palm Bay to Rockledge?
- US1 from Rockledge to Grant?
- A1A from Indianatlantic to Cocoa Beach?
- 528 right before you enter Port Canaveral ( turns into A1A)
- Courtney from 528 North to KSC
- What road needs beautification? Add Choice-From 1-95 on 192 to Babcock
@TheRealPatrickD: working tonight in #SpaceCoastStadium for a #BrevardCountyManatees game. the only upside is #Alicia is here!!!! #beautiful
42 months ago