- Abandoned, starving dogs make full recovery in Brevard County December 2, 2016Two Brevard County dogs abandoned by their owners played with toys at Brevard Animal Services Thursd
- Officer shoots teen car burglary suspect in Rockledge December 2, 2016A 17-year-old suspected in an attempted car burglary was shot by a Rockledge Police officer late Thu
- SpaceX sets target date for 1st launch since Falcon explosion December 1, 2016SpaceX has set a target date for its return to space since a Falcon rocket exploded on a Space Coast
- Couple carjacks elderly woman in Melbourne December 1, 2016Melbourne police are on the hunt for two people who carjacked an elderly woman overnight. Nancy Dea
Stand up paddle boarding (SUP) is gaining popularity and has health benefits
You might have seen the paparazzi shot of a well-trimmed celebrity standing up on what looks like a surfboard and paddling in some beautiful, exotic location. But you dont have to be famous or on vacation to enjoy and experience the health benefits of this new fitness trend.
Its called stand up paddle boarding and is gaining popularity along the Space Coast. If you love the water and a challenge, youll be hooked from the beginning. The sport requires balance so it works your core muscles and burns calories- and is sometimes referred to as yoga on water. The gear can be expensive, but there are places that you can rent equipment for as little as $30 an hour. The cost of a board ranges from $700 to $2,000.
If youre not ready to brave the ocean, try the calmer waters of a river or lake. Of course this always provides the opportunity to view wildlife like birds, dolphins and manatees. People of all ages can enjoy the sport and its easier to master than traditional surfing.
Beginners should start out in calmer waters, free of obstacles like buoys. Try kneeling first, just behind the center of the board. Get your balance, keep your hands on either side of the board to stabilize it, and then stand up one foot at a time- placing your feet where your knees were. You can expect to fall at least once, so dont get frustrated.
What Brevard County road needs a complete landscape makeover to better represent our county?
8 people voted
- 520 from 95 to A1A?
- US 1 from Palm Bay to Rockledge?
- US1 from Rockledge to Grant?
- A1A from Indianatlantic to Cocoa Beach?
- 528 right before you enter Port Canaveral ( turns into A1A)
- Courtney from 528 North to KSC
- What road needs beautification? Add Choice-From 1-95 on 192 to Babcock
@TheRealPatrickD: working tonight in #SpaceCoastStadium for a #BrevardCountyManatees game. the only upside is #Alicia is here!!!! #beautiful
44 months ago