- OPD: Woman killed outside Orlando bar struck by officer's bullet August 20, 2014The Orlando Police Chief is asking witnesses to come forward, hoping to get more information about a shooting that killed an innocent young woman early Tuesday morning outside a downtown night club.Valerie Boey
- Heat index HIGH around Central Florida August 20, 2014Another scorching day for us on tap as we head into the rest of our Wednesday. […]
- Weather Forecast Wednesday, August 20th, 2014 August 20, 2014Another scorching day for us on tap as we head into the rest of our Wednesday. Big high pressure continues to dominate so that means very limited relief from the heat. Rain chances remain low to nonexistent in only about the 20% range. Highs this afternoon climb to around 97° with heat index values climbing to around 104° under mainly sunny skies. Moisture m […]Molly Rosenblatt
- New Orlando City Soccer stadium raises questions August 20, 2014Since the announcement that the new stadium for Orlando City Soccer would be located one block west of its original location, the city has been attempting to answer questions about the impacts and the costs of that move.Mike Synan
Stand up paddle boarding (SUP) is gaining popularity and has health benefits
You might have seen the paparazzi shot of a well-trimmed celebrity standing up on what looks like a surfboard and paddling in some beautiful, exotic location. But you dont have to be famous or on vacation to enjoy and experience the health benefits of this new fitness trend.
Its called stand up paddle boarding and is gaining popularity along the Space Coast. If you love the water and a challenge, youll be hooked from the beginning. The sport requires balance so it works your core muscles and burns calories- and is sometimes referred to as yoga on water. The gear can be expensive, but there are places that you can rent equipment for as little as $30 an hour. The cost of a board ranges from $700 to $2,000.
If youre not ready to brave the ocean, try the calmer waters of a river or lake. Of course this always provides the opportunity to view wildlife like birds, dolphins and manatees. People of all ages can enjoy the sport and its easier to master than traditional surfing.
Beginners should start out in calmer waters, free of obstacles like buoys. Try kneeling first, just behind the center of the board. Get your balance, keep your hands on either side of the board to stabilize it, and then stand up one foot at a time- placing your feet where your knees were. You can expect to fall at least once, so dont get frustrated.
Where is your favorite restaraunt in brevard county?
38 people voted
- Fish Lips
- Dixie Crossroads
- Tokyo Steakhouse
- Thai Thai III Sushi Bar
- Taiho Japanese Restaraunt
- Tip A Few Tavern & Grille
- La Estancia De Lusia
- Seafood Atlantic
- Matt's Casbah
- Pizzoni's Pizza
- Chapparral Mexican Restr.
17 months ago