- Good Buys vs. Bad Buys September 22, 2014In the market for a deal? One savvy shopper helps us figure out the best items to snag now, and which to buy later.Kimberly Wiggins
- Missing Afghan soldiers reportedly found near Canadian border September 22, 2014Three Afghan National Army officers are missing from a Cape Cod military base where they had been taking part in a training exercise.Fox News
- Lerner breaks silence, says 'not sorry' over role in IRS scandal September 22, 2014Former IRS official Lois Lerner, the central figure in a scandal involving the federal agency, is breaking her silence, saying she's not sorry and maintaining she “didn't do anything wrong” -- despite widely documented evidence that her division targeted conservative groups for extra scrutiny.Fox News
- Orange Co. Schools win prestigious award; large prize money September 22, 2014ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) -- School districts in Orlando, Atlanta split $1 million Broad Prize; a 1st for prestigious award.
Stand up paddle boarding (SUP) is gaining popularity and has health benefits
You might have seen the paparazzi shot of a well-trimmed celebrity standing up on what looks like a surfboard and paddling in some beautiful, exotic location. But you dont have to be famous or on vacation to enjoy and experience the health benefits of this new fitness trend.
Its called stand up paddle boarding and is gaining popularity along the Space Coast. If you love the water and a challenge, youll be hooked from the beginning. The sport requires balance so it works your core muscles and burns calories- and is sometimes referred to as yoga on water. The gear can be expensive, but there are places that you can rent equipment for as little as $30 an hour. The cost of a board ranges from $700 to $2,000.
If youre not ready to brave the ocean, try the calmer waters of a river or lake. Of course this always provides the opportunity to view wildlife like birds, dolphins and manatees. People of all ages can enjoy the sport and its easier to master than traditional surfing.
Beginners should start out in calmer waters, free of obstacles like buoys. Try kneeling first, just behind the center of the board. Get your balance, keep your hands on either side of the board to stabilize it, and then stand up one foot at a time- placing your feet where your knees were. You can expect to fall at least once, so dont get frustrated.
Where is your favorite restaraunt in brevard county?
38 people voted
- Fish Lips
- Dixie Crossroads
- Tokyo Steakhouse
- Thai Thai III Sushi Bar
- Taiho Japanese Restaraunt
- Tip A Few Tavern & Grille
- La Estancia De Lusia
- Seafood Atlantic
- Matt's Casbah
- Pizzoni's Pizza
- Chapparral Mexican Restr.
18 months ago