- 1 of 2 women accused of ditching kids after shoplifting arrested July 1, 2015Osceola County deputies said one of two women accused of leaving two children inside a Publix store in Kissimmee after workers confronted them for allegedly shoplifting, turned herself into authorities in Southwest Florida.Dana Jay
- Florida AG Bondi wants solar initiative struck from ballot July 1, 2015Attorney General Pam Bondi's office is asking the Florida Supreme Court to not allow a proposed constitutional amendment to promote solar energy on next year's ballot.
- Bounce house rental owner accused of trying to meet 14-year-old boy for sex July 1, 2015The owner of a kids bounce house company in Flagler County was arrested on Tuesday, accused of trying to meet a 14-year-old boy for sex.Kelly Joyce
- US probing possible airline collusion to keep fares high July 1, 2015The U.S. government is investigating possible collusion among major airlines to limit available seats, which keeps airfares high, according to a document obtained by The Associated Press.
Stand up paddle boarding (SUP) is gaining popularity and has health benefits
You might have seen the paparazzi shot of a well-trimmed celebrity standing up on what looks like a surfboard and paddling in some beautiful, exotic location. But you dont have to be famous or on vacation to enjoy and experience the health benefits of this new fitness trend.
Its called stand up paddle boarding and is gaining popularity along the Space Coast. If you love the water and a challenge, youll be hooked from the beginning. The sport requires balance so it works your core muscles and burns calories- and is sometimes referred to as yoga on water. The gear can be expensive, but there are places that you can rent equipment for as little as $30 an hour. The cost of a board ranges from $700 to $2,000.
If youre not ready to brave the ocean, try the calmer waters of a river or lake. Of course this always provides the opportunity to view wildlife like birds, dolphins and manatees. People of all ages can enjoy the sport and its easier to master than traditional surfing.
Beginners should start out in calmer waters, free of obstacles like buoys. Try kneeling first, just behind the center of the board. Get your balance, keep your hands on either side of the board to stabilize it, and then stand up one foot at a time- placing your feet where your knees were. You can expect to fall at least once, so dont get frustrated.
Where is your favorite restaraunt in brevard county?
41 people voted
- Fish Lips
- Dixie Crossroads
- Tokyo Steakhouse
- Thai Thai III Sushi Bar
- Taiho Japanese Restaraunt
- Tip A Few Tavern & Grille
- La Estancia De Lusia
- Seafood Atlantic
- Matt's Casbah
- Pizzoni's Pizza
- Chapparral Mexican Restr.
@TheRealPatrickD: working tonight in #SpaceCoastStadium for a #BrevardCountyManatees game. the only upside is #Alicia is here!!!! #beautiful
27 months ago