- Currents leave hundreds of man o' war on Brevard County beaches January 18, 2017Purple flags are flying along Brevard County's beaches because of Portuguese man o' war washing onsh
- 2 sought for information in Cocoa death investigation January 17, 2017Detectives with the Cocoa Police Department are asking for the public's help to identify and locate
- Traffic Inbox: Pedestrian safety in Brevard County January 16, 2017Last year, the Orlando metro area took over the top spot as the most dangerous metro area for pedest
- Man arrested after Melbourne police chase January 15, 2017Police have arrested a man they say stole a car and sped through a Melbourne neighborhood before cra
Stand up paddle boarding (SUP) is gaining popularity and has health benefits
You might have seen the paparazzi shot of a well-trimmed celebrity standing up on what looks like a surfboard and paddling in some beautiful, exotic location. But you dont have to be famous or on vacation to enjoy and experience the health benefits of this new fitness trend.
Its called stand up paddle boarding and is gaining popularity along the Space Coast. If you love the water and a challenge, youll be hooked from the beginning. The sport requires balance so it works your core muscles and burns calories- and is sometimes referred to as yoga on water. The gear can be expensive, but there are places that you can rent equipment for as little as $30 an hour. The cost of a board ranges from $700 to $2,000.
If youre not ready to brave the ocean, try the calmer waters of a river or lake. Of course this always provides the opportunity to view wildlife like birds, dolphins and manatees. People of all ages can enjoy the sport and its easier to master than traditional surfing.
Beginners should start out in calmer waters, free of obstacles like buoys. Try kneeling first, just behind the center of the board. Get your balance, keep your hands on either side of the board to stabilize it, and then stand up one foot at a time- placing your feet where your knees were. You can expect to fall at least once, so dont get frustrated.
Where is your favorite restaraunt in brevard county?
41 people voted
- Fish Lips
- Dixie Crossroads
- Tokyo Steakhouse
- Thai Thai III Sushi Bar
- Taiho Japanese Restaraunt
- Tip A Few Tavern & Grille
- La Estancia De Lusia
- Seafood Atlantic
- Matt's Casbah
- Pizzoni's Pizza
- Chapparral Mexican Restr.
@TheRealPatrickD: working tonight in #SpaceCoastStadium for a #BrevardCountyManatees game. the only upside is #Alicia is here!!!! #beautiful
45 months ago