- Woman charged in hit-and-run incident involving infant in stroller May 26, 2015The Florida Highway Patrol says a suspected hit-and-run driver has turned herself into authorities, roughly two weeks after an incident in which a woman was bumped by a car as she was walking her grandson in his stroller.Valerie Boey
- IRS says thieves stole tax info from 100,000 May 26, 2015The IRS says thieves used an online service provided by the agency to gain access to information from more than 100,000 taxpayers.
- Florida Senate offers health care coverage compromise May 26, 2015Top Florida senators are offering up a revamped health care coverage plan in an effort to end a stalemate with Republican House leaders and Gov. Rick Scott.
- Body believed to be missing boater recovered in East Lake Toho May 26, 2015The Osceola County Sheriff's Office says a body, believed to be that of a missing boater, has been recovered from East Lake Tohopekaliga.
Stand up paddle boarding (SUP) is gaining popularity and has health benefits
You might have seen the paparazzi shot of a well-trimmed celebrity standing up on what looks like a surfboard and paddling in some beautiful, exotic location. But you dont have to be famous or on vacation to enjoy and experience the health benefits of this new fitness trend.
Its called stand up paddle boarding and is gaining popularity along the Space Coast. If you love the water and a challenge, youll be hooked from the beginning. The sport requires balance so it works your core muscles and burns calories- and is sometimes referred to as yoga on water. The gear can be expensive, but there are places that you can rent equipment for as little as $30 an hour. The cost of a board ranges from $700 to $2,000.
If youre not ready to brave the ocean, try the calmer waters of a river or lake. Of course this always provides the opportunity to view wildlife like birds, dolphins and manatees. People of all ages can enjoy the sport and its easier to master than traditional surfing.
Beginners should start out in calmer waters, free of obstacles like buoys. Try kneeling first, just behind the center of the board. Get your balance, keep your hands on either side of the board to stabilize it, and then stand up one foot at a time- placing your feet where your knees were. You can expect to fall at least once, so dont get frustrated.
Where is your favorite restaraunt in brevard county?
41 people voted
- Fish Lips
- Dixie Crossroads
- Tokyo Steakhouse
- Thai Thai III Sushi Bar
- Taiho Japanese Restaraunt
- Tip A Few Tavern & Grille
- La Estancia De Lusia
- Seafood Atlantic
- Matt's Casbah
- Pizzoni's Pizza
- Chapparral Mexican Restr.
@TheRealPatrickD: working tonight in #SpaceCoastStadium for a #BrevardCountyManatees game. the only upside is #Alicia is here!!!! #beautiful
26 months ago