- Michael Brown autopsy reportedly reveals teen was shot at close range October 22, 2014Michael Brown, the 18-year-old black man whose fatal shooting by a white police officer in the St. Louis suburb of Ferguson in August touched off weeks of racially-charged rioting, had marijuana in his system, was initially shot at close range and does not appear to have been killed while running away, according to experts who reviewed the official autopsy a […]Fox News
- 'Missing and endangered' Oviedo man found in Maryland October 22, 2014A 20-year-old Oviedo man, who had been considered "missing and endangered," has been located in Maryland, according to authorities.
- Weather Forecast Wednesday, October 22nd, 2014 October 22, 2014Clear skies, slightly cooler temperatures and drier conditions are in place behind a frontal boundary pushing south of Central Florida. Highs across the interior climb into the low 80's under sunny skies. Expect a high of around 83° in Orlando. Cooler in the overnight with lows dropping into the upper 50's to low 60's. Rain chances stay out of […]Molly Rosenblatt
- Saving's Angel October 22 October 22, 2014Saving's Angels Deals for October 22
Stand up paddle boarding (SUP) is gaining popularity and has health benefits
You might have seen the paparazzi shot of a well-trimmed celebrity standing up on what looks like a surfboard and paddling in some beautiful, exotic location. But you dont have to be famous or on vacation to enjoy and experience the health benefits of this new fitness trend.
Its called stand up paddle boarding and is gaining popularity along the Space Coast. If you love the water and a challenge, youll be hooked from the beginning. The sport requires balance so it works your core muscles and burns calories- and is sometimes referred to as yoga on water. The gear can be expensive, but there are places that you can rent equipment for as little as $30 an hour. The cost of a board ranges from $700 to $2,000.
If youre not ready to brave the ocean, try the calmer waters of a river or lake. Of course this always provides the opportunity to view wildlife like birds, dolphins and manatees. People of all ages can enjoy the sport and its easier to master than traditional surfing.
Beginners should start out in calmer waters, free of obstacles like buoys. Try kneeling first, just behind the center of the board. Get your balance, keep your hands on either side of the board to stabilize it, and then stand up one foot at a time- placing your feet where your knees were. You can expect to fall at least once, so dont get frustrated.
Where is your favorite restaraunt in brevard county?
38 people voted
- Fish Lips
- Dixie Crossroads
- Tokyo Steakhouse
- Thai Thai III Sushi Bar
- Taiho Japanese Restaraunt
- Tip A Few Tavern & Grille
- La Estancia De Lusia
- Seafood Atlantic
- Matt's Casbah
- Pizzoni's Pizza
- Chapparral Mexican Restr.
19 months ago